- 3 Small sweet onion chopped
- 1 Sweet Potato with skin
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried cumin
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes depending on taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- splash of tabasco (optional)
- 1 10oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilis (I used cilantro and lime rotel)
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado
- Dried cilantro and finely shredded mexican cheese blend for garnish
While the onion is cooking cut up the sweet potato into small cubes. Add the sweet potato to the pot with the onion.
Continue to cook and occasional toss while you chop the green pepper. Add the pepper to the pot and the dry spices. Toss.
At this point your pot will be getting dry and possibly sticking. That’s ok. Add the can of diced tomatoes plus 1/3 a can of water and scrape up all that yummy goodness from the bottom of the pan. Add the lime juice and tabasco.
Add black beans and stir everything together.
Bring the chili to a boil then lower to a simmer and cover. Cook 20 minutes covered and then another 10 minutes or so uncovered until the sweet potato softens a bit.
Serve 1 cup with 2 slices of avocado (~20g,) a pinch of Mexican cheese blend and a sprinkle of dried cilantro on top.