Ingredients: (yields one loaf in a 9 X 12 pan)1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Lightly grease a 9 X 12 loaf pan.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour + more for dusting
- a pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup flaxseed powder
- 1/3 cup + 1 cup orange juice or milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract (I used vanilla and it turned out really well, but next time I think I'll use almond, just to try it)
- 1 cup sugar, or 3/4 cup agave or honey
- 1 cup mashed banana, about 3-4 bananas depending on the size (I microwaved mine until they got melty, then added them)
- 1 cups chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
2. Sift flour, salt and baking powder.
3. Combine flaxseed powder with 1/3 cup orange juice/milk/almond milk (depending on what you are using), and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
4. In another large bowl combine oil, sugar (or honey), mashed banana, and the rest of the juice/milk/almond milk, vanilla/almond extract. Add the flaxseed powder mix to this and stir to combine.
5. Add the flour mix to this wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just blended. This is going to be a sticky gooey mix.
6. Dust the the nuts with flour. Carefully fold them into the dough.
7. Spoon the dough into the loaf pan and bake for about an hour to hour and a half or till the toothpick comes out clean (it took 60 minutes in the convection oven).
8. Cool completely for about 15 minutes before turning the bread over. Slice only when completely cool or it will fall apart.