Shannon and Dawn James
We have a huge interest in food, fitness, healthy living and daily indulgences. This blog follows our yummy eats and finds!

Dawn's Sweet, Sour and Spicy Sauce over Chicken and Brown Rice

Tonight we had this meal. I think I finally got the sauce right! I came up with this recipe because I love the sauce on the outside of meatloaf - brown sugar, ketchup and mustard. I also love the sauce that is used to create the Water Chestnut appetizers. After reading several sweet and sour recipes that contained brown sugar and ketchup, this is what I cam up with. This sauce is also great over pork chops.

2 chicken breasts
Sauce
1 cup of ketchup
2 TB brown sugar
1 TB worcestershire sauce
1 TB distilled white vinegar
1/2 tsp paprika
1 small jalapeno diced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 small onion diced
1 garlic clove (I purchased the huge container of minced garlic from Sam's Club, which is very convenient for recipes that call for garlic - I am just estimating 1 clove, I just threw a spoonful into the sauce)

1 cup of brown rice - makes two servings (cook as directed on box)

In sauce pan - mix sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer.

In the mean time in another pan, cook 2 chicken breasts in garlic (no need to add oil) I purchase the frozen small 5 oz chicken breasts from Sam's Club very convenient. Cook the chicken (with some garlic) until it is almost done prior to adding the sauce. Add about 1/4 of the sauce in the pan to finish cooking the chicken in (cover each chicken breast). Cover and simmer for a while and flip chicken. Add more sauce about 1/4 to cover each chicken breast or scoop up some of the sauce that is in the pan. Cook until chicken is done.

Save about 1/2 of the sauce to put over the rice. I just scooped some of the sauce onto the rice after it was on each plate.

Side dish - Birds Eye Steamfresh mixed vegetable and the Sister Schubert's dinner rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment