Shannon and Dawn James
We have a huge interest in food, fitness, healthy living and daily indulgences. This blog follows our yummy eats and finds!

Uncle Johnny's White Bean Soup - Dr. Ian Smiths

This recipe came from Dr. Ian Smith's book - The Shred Revolutionary Diet - I am a sucker when it comes to guests on the Dr. Oz show who have books.  I have so many.  Just received this one last week.

4 servings
Under 200 calories

2 cups of cannellini beans - I used no salt added beans
1 strip of bacon - optional (did not use)
4 TB olive oil (did not use)
1 medium onion, finely chopped (I used my nicer dicer)
1 1/2 celery stalks, finely chopped (I used my nicer dicer)
1/2 carrot, finely chopped (I used about 10 baby carrots - chopped with nicer dicer)
1 15 oz. can of plum tomatoes or stewed tomatoes (used best choice mexican tomatoes)
1 15 oz can chicken or vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste

Puree one cup of beans in a food processor or blender (oops misread - I pureed one can).

Cook 1 strip of bacon and crumble, if using.

Heat oil in large saucepan and add the onion, and cook until soft about 3 minutes.  Add the celery, carrots, and tomatoes, and cook for 7 minutes more.

Warm the broth and pour it into the saucepan.  Gradually stir in the beans and bean puree (I didn't warm the broth - added it all to the vegetable mixture).  Add the bacon.  Let simmer for approximately 15 minutes.  Serve with salt and pepper.  Serve.

This was good - next time I will make cornbread to eat with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment