1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
----I used pumpkin spice instead of the bottom 3 ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon --- I did add some cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (18.25 ounce) package spice cake mix
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts (I used walnuts)
1/2 cup melted butter
CRUST: Optional - Dawn's altered recipe
1 cup cake mix (reserved for topping)
Rest of cake mix - used for crust
1/2 cup butter
Press/spread into bottom of baking pan
Topping - Dawn's altered recipe
1 cup cake mix
1 stick butter (I just sliced thin pieces off of butter - or you can melt and drizzle on top, or cut into cake mix to make a crumble.)
3/4 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, brown sugar, white sugar and milk. Stir in cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Pour into pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over the pumpkin filling. Sprinkle nuts over the cake mix. Drizzle melted butter over all.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool."
I altered this recipe by: reserving 1 cup of cake mix; I created a crust which consisted of the rest of the cake mix, 1/2 cup butter, and one egg. Press or smooth this mixture in bottom of 9 x 13 inch pan. Pour pumpkin mixture over crust. On top of cake I mixed 1 cup of the cake mix with 3/4 cup sugar. Chopped thin slices of butter - about 3/4 cup. Which I think I had way to much butter. You could also cut in the butter to make the mixture crumbly.
I would have like to have more crumbly on top.