Shannon and Dawn James
We have a huge interest in food, fitness, healthy living and daily indulgences. This blog follows our yummy eats and finds!

Spicy Quinoa Salad

I found this recipe on Cooking Quinoa along with many others I want to try.  Even though this is suppose to be eaten cold - I ate it warmed up.  I am not into cold salads.  This is the first time that I have eaten Quinoa - and it is my NEW FAVORITE!!!!!!!!  I had purchased Quinoa months ago at Hyvee - they have bins where you can buy the quantity that you want.  Dillons also has these.

  • 3 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
  • 2 cups corn
  • 1 red pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 T fresh lime juice (this gave it a unique flavor - I probably only put in 1 TB)
  • 1/2 T olive oil (omitted)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp chipolte chili powder (used regular chili powder 1 tsp)
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (used Hungarian Paprika)
  • 1/2 tsp salt (did not use salt)
Of course I added one diced onion - which is not in recipe.

  1. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, corn, red pepper and cilantro.
  2. In a small bowl combine lime juice, olive oil, garlic, chipolte chili powder, smoked paprika and salt.
  3. Toss dressing with quinoa mixture and serve at room temperature or chilled.
To cook Quinoa - 1 cup uncooked (soak for 15 minutes, then rinse for 3 minutes) and 
1 1/4 water.  Bring to simmer, cover, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes - turned out PERFECT!!!!  There was no water to drain - all of it is absorbed.  

Then I combined all ingredients in a large deep skillet, covered and warmed until onions were soft.

1 comment:

  1. This looks good; will have to give it a try. I have a couple of quinoa recipes on my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete